sábado, 10 de diciembre de 2016

A Year In the Life of Sydney’s Teenage Longboarders por VICE

A Year In the Life of Sydney’s Teenage Longboarders

November 23, 2016
This article is part of our VICE Weekends summer series, presented by Weis
Myles laying down a powerful drop knee at Noosa. I was sitting in one spot to get this photo and was shooting on film, which makes it even more special to have the moment, light, and focus all line up perfectly. All photos by Henry CousinsFor the past year, 19 year old photographer Henry Cousins has been documenting his weekends near the ocean. Weekends spent hanging out in the carpark and in the water, surfing, doing trips up the coast camping, or taking the boat up the river in search of new spots to post up for the day. His photos capture epic nose rides alongside quiet moments with his mates in the fading light of the afternoon. It's an archive that's influenced by the past, but wholly his own experience of life on Sydney's northern beaches.
VICE: Who are the people in your pictures?Henry Cousins: They're all my friends. They aren't set-up or planned, I've just always had a camera on me when I'm in the carpark, surfing, on the boat, or hanging out and have happened to capture these moments along the way.
How long have you been documenting these kinds of moments?I've been shooting lifestyle photos since I was about 14. I love the idea of photos that show what people get up to in their own time, photos that are a little more private and show rituals that not everybody gets to experience. I think it's something I will probably do forever. I love looking back on the memories.
Do you feel part Sydney's underground longboard surf culture that's going down on the northern beaches?I would probably say these photos represent a group of individuals who are doing their own thing with strong influences from the past. That's really the reoccurring, underlying factor that keeps it all going. We're doing basically the same thing that surfers have been doing for the last 60 years. It's all about everybody hanging out, surfing, exploring, pushing each other, and having a good time.
What inspires you?
The main influence for the photos that I take are from guys that shot similar things in the '60s and '70s. I love the realness, the mood, and the subjects that those sorts of photos have.
You can follow Henry Cousins on Instagram
This article is presented by Weis

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario